Friday 6 March 2009

Screen Printing at Blenheim Walk

Finally, we got an induction into the screen printing facilities at Blenheim Walk, which will save us having to walk all the way to Vernon Street whenever we wanna do something. It's much smaller, of course, so we had to do our inductions in small groups of six. It was pretty good though. Plus, there's a lot more variety at Blenheim, we can print onto fabrics and there are three amazing printers there, which can print onto canvas and stuff like that. I'm kind of excited about that. The lady who talked to us, Wendy, she seemed really nice too.

The first thing we did was choose pattern screens, we were printing onto simple cotton. there were some really interesting patterns to choose from. I didn't take my camera, or I would have taken pictures of the stages, but anyway.

We had to lay down the light colour first, because obviously, it's easier to print dark over light than light over dark. I chose yellow and purple, clearly an awesome combination.

Here is a scan of my pattern when it was finished. Lovely, huh? I really like it, even if it is a little crazy to look at. Like, whoah.

We then moved on to screen printing using the screen beds onto paper using a screen of a font that one of the members of staff had design. I'll upload this when I go and fetch it from the drying racks. Just know that it's lovely.

-HJ x

1 comment:

Michael said...

The difference that has been felt while making various screen prints.

print onto canvas