Tuesday 10 March 2009

How To

The latest brief is certainly an interesting one to say the least. We were all gathered in a room and asked to pick a number between 1 and 1000. And when we all had, Fred pulled out this Collin's 'Book of How To Do Just About Anything' and pulled out the sections our numbers were.

I got 'How to peel and mince garlic'.

I started by taking photos of the part of the garlic.



And then drawing them to the best of my ability.


The drawing below is off a 'lady garlic'. A joke as to what would 'lure' a piece of wild garlic in during my concept of 'hunting wild garlic' which I'll touch on later.


And at first, I was just like, ...aw man. Really, not the most interesting of things, but I seem to have picked up some decent ideas since, and am now working like a fiend on it.

An idea that I had was to literally show the steps of how to peel and mince garlic via illustration, and then put the images in the form of a chopping board or kitchen tiles. I want to put it in the context of the kitchen somehow.

My first step is crushing the garlic bulb. Now, I wanted to draw them in an older looking style using cross hatching like illustrations in old cook books. Now the image below, I drew it and inked it and though, wow, that looks like garlic, job well done. But I took it into the classroom to keep working on it, and everybody mentioned that it looks like, well, balls. To put it bluntly. And now the more I look at it, the more I see it, which sucks because I liked the image. Guess I'll do it again.The next step is peeling the indivisual cloves, as shown below.
And then mincing said cloves.
And putting it into your meal. Yum yum. Shame I can't cook.
Another idea I had was to illustrate the entertaining ways to crush a bulb of garlic. The image below of the steamroller is the first of such experimentations.
It's amusing, to say the least. I'll see where this goes. I do have until Monday, afterall.

-HJ x

No comments: