Sunday 1 March 2009

Commissions

For a friend of mine, I was asked to design some posters for their Women's Officer campaign for the student union of Swansea university. I was working through a middle man, and came up with some designs that I really liked. They didn't take too long, and these are what I came up with for them to choose from.


This one below is my favourite, and my friend really liked it too, and took it to the person in charge. And he really liked it too, but he wanted some changes made.

My friend hadn't known that they needed to be in black and white for the printing costs. And that because the university is in Swansea, Welsh needed to be on the poster too. So I waited for the translation to come through, and then added it on and sent it out again, only for it to be sent back again. Welsh sentences are longer than english, so obviously the text was smaller. But it was sent back because I'm not allowed to show preference for one language over the other. So this is what it looked like in the end.
God it's vile. But it's what they wanted, so whatever I guess.

I was then asked to design one that looked like a comic strip, using the name 'Kim Possible' for the candidate. I actually like how this one turned out in the end, it's purely black and white, which should appeal to their printing budget.

And there is a Welsh version too, so there they have it.

I should have pictures of these posters printed out at full size and up on the walls soon. I'm tempted to ask if they can print out just a couple of the colour versions, and get pictures of those, because I actually liked it better when it was in colour.

Another thing I was asked to do, recently, was design a logo for a hoodie for the English Students of Swansea University. They wanted it simple, and small, and this is what I came up with. I like it, the client liked it, and so it was an easy job.Unfortunately, I only had creative control over the front of the hoodie. The back still says 'English Students do it like prose', but I can't do anything about it. At least the front will look good. I should have pictures of that too soon.

-HJ x

No comments: