Wednesday 5 November 2008

What is Orange?

Okay, for this brief we had to create ten images, 15cm x 15cm, that said what we perceive to be the meaning of Orange. For me, the colour orange has connotations of fun, happy times, so I chose to create an orange character in orange situations. Personifying an orange, I gave it a face, arms and legs, and created happy scenes from the orange's life. I started quite early, chooseing to depict the orange on Halloween.

I chose halloween because one of the colours associated with this holiday is orange. This image is humorous because instead of giving the orange a costume like a ghost or a monster, I decided to have the orange be dressed up as a lemon for halloween, and his best friend, a carrot, dressed as a pear.

All of these images were done in Illustrator and took quite some time, a minimum of three hours on each. My eyes hated me by the end of it, we'll just say that.

The next scene finds our orange during Christmas. The fire gives the room a nice orange glow, and Orange Amplifiers is a well known (and expensive) brand of amplifiers. I know that I wasn't supposed to use text within the image, but it really wouldn't have worked without it, so I thought 'sod it!'.

This, I think, is one of the cutest ones. I chose to place my orange during his break at work on a building site because of the flourescent jackets that builders wear. While the background isn't as detailed as the two above, I quite like it. I mainly like the distant oranges in their hard hats in the background.

Again, I know that I'm not supposed to use text within the image, but I really couldn't resist using such a name for a tanning salon. This scene depicts our orange chilling out after a hard day at work.
The image quality of this one is horrible, because well, I had computer problems and had to format my laptop. Apparently the one folder that I didn't back up was the one containing the files for this project. I had a horrified moment early and panicked until I remember that I had most of the files backed up on my memory stick. Just not this one. Can't really complain though. So yes, I had to scan this one, hence the God awful quality.
I'm aware that I only have five images here. There were five 15 x 15 auqares with just text in them, but during our crit, I discovered that the images worked better without the text, so I decided not to load them up. The original plan was to have ten illustrations anyway, but we were only give five days for the project and well, there just wasn't enough time. I do intend to complete it, and do five more illustrations before the module deadline sometime in November. Man I am swamped right now.

The process of putting up the images. Excuse the bad quality, I didn't have the flash on my camera and so it wasn't too steady.

The top half of the board, mine's in the top left hand corner. Complete with text squares.

The bottom half of the board. I do love the pumpkins.

Adios. x

No comments: