Wednesday 29 October 2008

Alphonse Mucha

I have recently discovered the work of Alphonse Mucha. He was famous last century, so I guess you could say I'm a little slow on the uptake, but anyways. I am a big fan of Art Nouveau, I'd say it was my favourite, if I had to pick, out of all the art movements. Bauhaus would be at the bottom of the list, let me tell you. I know, I know, that we wouldn't have so much of what we have today without it, and we would be behind the times or whatever. If you had to do an entire year of just Bauhaus with my waffy A-Level teacher, you would understand. Besides, I am not a fan on Modernism, not in the slightest.


Anyway, I'm going off on one, as they say. These three images are all by Alphonse Mucha, and I really do think that they are beautiful pieces of work. I love the colours used, pale and washed out, nothing that really leaps out and smacks you in the face. It just works as a piece, and is beautiful. I love how elegant the pieces are, with the curves and the flowing lines and the folds of draped fabric. They're elaborate, but not to the point where you think that too much is going on.

One of my favourite things about these Alphonse Mucha images, is the way that he does hair. It's not even that detailed in it's shading, and it doesn't look like realistic hair, but the curls and the way it flows often gives it a sense of direction. In the image below the lack of detail to the hair is most apparent. It's almost a solid colour, but closer inspection would reveal that it's more of a wash of colour, slight hues within it. I love how simple the hair and the clothing is in comparison to the detail given to the face and the rest of the body.

A slightly unrelated point, but I don't know how many of you have walked past a Clinton's Cards lately and seen the gorgeous 'Deco' prints and fullsize cardboard cutouts they have in there? Well, if you haven't, just know that they're beautiful. I was walking past today after buying Chipsticks from Poundland, and I saw this box of rolled up posters, and it said, 'Deco Posters 99p!' in rather large letters. They were full size posters too. Anyway, I got all excited and was routing through the box, thinking, they're cheap! I'll get two! And then I moved the posters enough, to noticing some little writing under the '99p!' that said 'when you spend £10 on Deco products'. Ugh. I got so excited, and then bam. Please, Clinton's Cards, make the font a little bigger so that no more people get let down like I did. I swear, you don't get owt for nowt these days.

This, frankly gorgeous, picture is by an artist called Stella Im Hultberg. A lot of her pictures are like this, made up of ink washes and stains, and are on tea stained paper, like the one above. I love that the image isn't on white paper, it really wouldn't have the same effect of it was. The colour of the background adds to the effect of the image, giving the whole thing a soft, almost hazy tone. It really does inspire me to try working on not just different coloured paper, but on top of washes and textures that I make myself. I'm going to use some of those that I made while doing mono printing, some of those turned out pretty sweet.

And this last point couldn't be further from the whole Art Nouveau thing, but still. I don't know how many of you have ever played this game. Pretty much, the game took a week to make, and is made entirely of white vector lines. You can put your own music into it, and the line rabbit has to jump over obstacles in time to the music. It's so simple, yet very entertaining. It's almost as simple a concept as Pong. Anyway, if you do badly, the rabbit, Vibri, will turn into a frog, and if you still do worse, she will turn into this kind of worm thing with a television for a head. If you do really well, she'll turn into a princess and dance across the obstacles. It's pretty cute. Anyway, I've recently got my PS1 routed out and hooked up in the flat, and I was thinking, damn I need to get this game again, so I go to ebay. And seriously, for a second hand game that consists of...sticks, really, £20 is the lowest I have found. It's such a low key game! I thought I would have been able to pick it up for about a fiver!

Another bummer is that I've lost my FFVII game :[ I have disc 2 of 4 and the rest has just gone kaput. I really need to get a new one.

- HJ x

No comments: