Thursday 15 January 2009

What is Line? Jackson Pollock.

Now, I have a Fine Art A-Level, and I think it's that what has led me in this painty direction for What is Line. I enjoy painting. I'm not very good at it, but that doesn't really matter for this style of painting. Which I like to call, making a mess.

Mess is definately my thing, I'm good at that.

Anyhow, I've been looking into the term 'Action painting'.

"Action painting, sometimes called "gestural abstraction", is a style of painting in which paint is spontaneously dribbled, splashed or smeared onto the canvas, rather than being carefully applied. The resulting work often emphasizes the physical act of painting itself as an essential aspect of the finished work or concern of its artist." - Wikipedia

One of the most famous 'Action painters' is of course, Jackson Pollock.

Here he is. Doing his thing.

Now...to be honest, I don't like Pollock's work. I'd go as far as to say that I dislike it intensely. Hate's a strong word, y'all.

But for example, the image below? Picture the roof of a caravan that wasn't been washed in some time. Remind you of the build up of bird crap? I thought so.

This one, I suppose, isn't too bad, but it's very dark and depressing, which obviously, Jackson Pollock was himself, so it clearly reflected on his moods and such.

While I don't like his work, I like the way he works, make marks by throwing paint around and drizzling it from sticks and such. Sometimes, he didn't even use paint brushes! And this is mainly what has inspired me to try as many different techniques that I can think of to make marks, lines specifically, without me ever touching the paper.

-HJ x

No comments: