Wednesday 1 April 2009

Visual Language Evaluation

1. What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

I have definitely gone back to my fine art roots within this module when it comes to my What is Line project. It was the chance to go back and do something that I used to enjoy doing a lot.
As for the session work during visual language, I have gained skilled in perspective. I've touched on the subject before but not in great detail and we looked at it in a lot more depth with Lorenzo this time around. I have learnt about icons and schematics and how the simplest way is often the best way. It has taught me a lot about breaching the language barrier and making things universally understood.

2. What approaches to/methods of research have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

I definitely just started exploring lines as soon as I got the brief and then the research came afterwards when I had more of a definite direction that I was working in. When I had the right direction I researched into artists whose work applied to my own. Experimentation definitely came before in depth research.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalize on these?

Experimentation is definitely a strength of mine. I had fun with this project and it was the chance to go back to something I used to do a lot of and have no time for anymore.  Experimenting definitely helped me decide the direction in which my work was going.

4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these more fully?

Apparently I'm incapable of being able to lay down enough newspaper to not wreck the carpet in my room.
I spent a lot of time on the experimentation and the fact I did little to no research before I started is a weakness.

5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

1. Research first, it'll probably make life easier.
2. Spend less time mucking around.
3. Lay down more newspaper and not wreck my room.
4. Use all the time that was given to me and start right away.
5. set a specific amount of time aside per week to work on Visual Language.

6. How would you grade yourself on the following areas.

Attendance: 2
Punctuality: 2
Motivation: 3
Commitment: 3
Quantity of work produced: 5
Quality of work produced: 4

No comments: